On Wednesday, Dec. 11, 2019, the City of San Marcos will host a groundbreaking ceremony from 10 to 11 a.m. to celebrate the start of construction for the San Marcos Creek Project.
The project, once completed, will minimize flooding risks, preserve and enhance creek habitat, and build a new park and trails. The project will also provide critical infrastructure needed to support future growth in the area.
The groundbreaking ceremony will be emceed by City of San Marcos Mayor Rebecca Jones and includes light refreshments provided by Old California Coffee. The ceremony will be held in the open space on the east side of Via Vera Cruz, between West San Marcos Boulevard and Discovery Street. The City is asking attendees to R.S.V.P. by calling 1-877-SMCREEK or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
“We are pleased to break ground on a project that will solve a long-standing issue and provide tremendous value to the community in the future. We are one step closer to the start of major construction in early 2020. We ask that everyone take the time today to get more information about the project, the construction schedule and sign up for construction alerts,” said City of San Marcos Project Manager Isaac Etchamendy. “The City is committed to being a good neighbor and proactively communicating with residents throughout construction.”
Parking is available for ceremony attendees in the following locations:
- At the ceremony site on the east side of Via Vera Cruz
- Along Via Vera Cruz and
- On the west side of Via Vera Cruz on the old Escondido Truss site (for overflow only).
San Diego County Sheriff’s Department will be on hand to assist with traffic flow to and from the ceremony site.
Following the groundbreaking ceremony, the construction team will move to more active construction in the project area.
- In Winter 2020, construction will begin with the closure of Bent Avenue for bridge construction above the Creek.
- In Fall 2020, once construction at Bent Avenue is completed, construction will shift to the closure of Via Vera Cruz, for bridge construction above the Creek in that location.
- In Spring 2021, the City anticipates starting habitat and park construction and finishing construction and opening the project to the publicin Fall 2021.
- Construction hours will be Monday through Friday, from 7 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Those who live in the area or visit the surrounding neighborhoods will notice construction-related noise, increased construction vehicle traffic, detours and lane and road closures during construction.
The City encourages members of the public to visit the project website and sign up for alerts to stay informed throughout project construction:
- Website: Visit www.san-marcos.net/creek for project information.
- Text updates:Text SMCreek to 484848 to sign up for text updates.
- Project hotline:Call 877-SMCREEK with any questions and a team member will respond within 48 hours.
- Email:Email email@example.com with questions or requests and a team member will respond within 48 hours.
Para información y actualizaciones en español, por favor visite la página de la ciudad: www.san-marcos.net/arroyo.